Saturday, August 15, 2009

Great Night!

We had a wonderful Curriculum Night on Thursday, August 13th. We had over 100 families here at Kennedy to learn about the Georgia Performance Standards (GPS) that their children will be learning this year and exactly how they will be learning them. It was really good to see everyone.


Just a reminder that starting on Monday, August 17th we will be starting school at 7:40, NOT 7:45. I would also like to make everyone aware of some opportunities to volunteer at KES. Our parent volunteer coordinators are in the process of finding parent to assist in classrooms so that our teachers can do some very important individualized assessments on students. We will also be having a carnival on October 24th and will need assistance in the planning and carrying out as well as help getting donations for raffle prizes. Please contact the school if you are interested.

So, how did I do on last week's goals???
1) I did not get to a Math lesson at each grade level, but I saw some wonderful math lessons . One was in Ms. Paramore's class. They were discovering arrays in their classrooms. A few students pointed out arrays to me and then were able to explain to me the dimensions and how they correlate to multiplication. I also saw Ms. Cunningham's class comparing numbers (greater than, less than, equal to) using standard, expanded, and word forms. This was a very interactive lesson where the students had to set themselves up so that their statements made sense. Both lessons had students communicating using the language of math and showing a deep understanding of the standards. Way to go 4th grade!
2) I was able to make it into every class pretty much everyday. I love seeing students and teachers in action. One of my favorites this week: Mr. Thornton's music class where groups of students had to come up with body motions to go with the different music terms and then act them out when they heard them in the song. It was a lot of fun!! The other, some very descriptive writing in Ms. Harwell's 3rd grade class. The sentences were so descriptive that I did not even need to the picture they drew to know what it looked like. Great Job.
3) I did not see him, but the Kindergarten students told me that Zero Hero came to their class on Friday. I don't know why I never see him when he comes, but I will be looking for him on the 20th day!
4) Our Curriculum Night was a success. Congratulations to Ms. Whiddon's class for the highest participation rate. Your popcorn will be there on Monday!!!

Goals for next week:
1)Get into every classroom
2)See more Math Lessons
3)Start the planning for our Carnival in October
4) Have a fantastic Kindergarten Family Night on Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment