Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why I Love Barrow County

Many people will probably see this title and think that I love Barrow County because we have a Fall Break that lasts for an entire week. While I have thoroughly enjoyed the time off and feel that the students and teachers really deserve the week off, that is not why I love Barrow County.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to be on a show called the Talk of the Town which is on Winder TV channel 21 on Comcast. The first question that she asked me was, "What brought you to Barrow County?" I had not thought about that for a while, but the answer was easy. It is cliche to say it is the county's motto, but it is the truth. I love the motto, "World Class Education, Hometown Values". The thing is, it is not just a saying. The county backs it. The superintendent knows my name and is supportive of what we do for kids each and every day. The board of education is visible and try their best to keep everything in place to give teachers what they need to educate kids. Teachers work hard to give each student an opportunity to be successful. The best part is that the schools are community schools. All the Apalachee cluster schools "Back the CHEE!", and each Winder Barrow cluster school gives that "Double G" effort. It really is a blessing to be in a county that sets high expectations and doesn't give excuses for not working hard to meet them, but at the same time gives you that face-to-face support and truly backs what you are doing. I love that part of Barrow County. I also think that a TV show doing an interview with the principal of one its elementary schools about their carnival will only happen in a community that TRULY backs their schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment