Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thankless Job!


When talking with someone (who happens to be a teacher)about an article I wrote on my blog, they mentioned to me that it was nice to thank the parents for what they did for KES, but did I thank the teachers for what they do EVERY DAY?

I thought for a moment before I answered, "Probably NOT like I should!"

Teachers don't teach because they want a "Thank You"; they get that when a child learns a new letter sound or figures out how to use transition words effectively in their story, or finally organize their notebooks like the teacher has been showing them for weeks. Teachers teach because they have a passion for making a difference in a life. They see it as their mission to impact the future 1 kid at a time. Teachers teach because they know deep down that if they invest themselves in the life of a student that it will never come back void. They may not see the impact for a day, a month, or even years down the road, but they will see the change eventually. Every person has a story of a teacher that changed their lives (Mine was Ms. Gabrielli in 3rd Grade), and every teacher has a story of a student who has come back to them (in a letter, phone call, email, or visit) and said how they changed their life. That is the THANK YOU teachers need.

With that being said, I do need to thank the teachers at KES for what they do EVERY DAY. Kennedy has an amazing group of people that just happen to be great teachers as well. I thank GOD for allowing me to be the principal of such a great group of people.

1 comment:

MNicoleM said...

We don't thank you often enough either, for being such a supportive administrator! So Thanks, Mr. Butcher, you are a *remarkable* principal :-)

Post a Comment