Thursday, July 23, 2009

Only a few more days!

I have been back from vacation for a few days now and have been really getting back to focusing on the new school year. It seems that we have everything in place and are pretty much ready to go. My head must still be on vacation or something, because I have a strange feeling that I am missing something to be this ready! The handbook is printed, the class lists have been sent out, the schedules made; it just seems we have it all in place. I guess now all I need is the teachers to all be here and then the kiddos.
I remember a few years ago when I taught coming in a few days early to start setting up my room. That was such a neat feeling! You have so many great ideas and exciting plans and nothing ( angry parents, demands from administration, unruly kids, or stress) can put a monkey wrench in those plans. I have had several teachers up here this week setting up, and I envy what they are doing. I miss that excitement of planning a school year that will directly involve me in the lives of our future leaders. That is what teaching is all about: Having the opportunity and privilege to build a relationship and impact a life of a person who will be a future doctor, lawyer, pro athlete, politician, or teacher. I feel blessed, don't get me wrong, to have my job and be a leader of a school, but I still miss that everyday, direct relationship with young people. They bring so much excitement and perspective to life. They are still in love with their teacher and want to learn. I miss that!
I guess I just need to make sure that I take more time this school year to slow down and get in those classrooms more to soak up that love for learning.

Only 5 more days until the teachers get here and only 11 more until I have them all in place to be a REMARKABLE school!

No comments:

Post a Comment