Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Teacher Appreciation Day

Today is National Appreciation Day and I have to spend it in a training session. It is not how I would have liked to spend it, but I was able to listen to the radio on my way to the session and they were having people call in and talk about their favorite teacher and how they had impacted their life. As they called in and shared, it just made me remember why I got into education and how lucky I am to be a principal. Educators do so much more than just teach addition and subtraction, reading and writing, or history; teachers teach how to respect and be respected; how to work with others and be confident. Teachers teach how to make better choices and understand the consequences of poor choices. Teachers invest in the lives of those people who will be leading this country in 20 years. Teachers are the ones who will make the difference in the world because they accepted the challenge of investing in our future. That is why teachers should be appreciated.
As a principal, I am lucky enough to be able to see how these educators make it all happen when everything around them is being made more difficult. It is amazing to see how hard they work to continue to provide the best for ALL kids while the financial support is being tightened and the expectations are being increased. Teachers never stop teaching because our future can not survive without them.
Thanks to all the teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment