Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Power Hour

Our student are only 38 school days away from taking the CRCT. This test is very important for all students, but even more important to our 3rd and 5th Graders because they have to pass certain sections to be promoted to the next grade.
It bothers me that ONE test given late in the year is a determining factor to student promotion. At Kennedy, we don't teach test takers; we teach young people who will be leaders in this country in 20 years or so. We need to teach them Math, Science, Social Studies, and Language Arts, PE, Music, and Art, but we also need to teach them to think critically, to be respectful and responsible, and we need to teach them how to get along with other. That is what will make our country thrive in the future, not people who were good test takers. I don't like the pressure we have put on teachers to get them ready for the test, or the anxiety we have placed on students and parents because of this test. It is not fair because it does not show the student as a whole. It only gives a 1 week snapshot of them.
While I don't like it, I do understand that is a good way of assessing our student progress on the Standards being taught. Because of that understanding, we have created a program for some of our 3rd and 5th graders to help get them prepared for the CRCT in 38 days. We are working with certain students a few days a week to get them a little extra help in getting prepared. It has quickly become one of my favorite parts of the day. I am working with some 5th graders on Math skills. Being a former high school math teacher, I LOVE the opportunity I have to teach math again. I have been excited about teaching it and can't wait to see the results when we get those scores back.

No comments:

Post a Comment