Wednesday, June 23, 2010

World Cup Soccer!


I have to be honest with you, I really don't like soccer. I don't like that they run for up and down the field the size of a Canadian Football field and NO ONE EVER scores. I don't like that the players are better floppers than any NBA player ever. I don't like TIES!!! and I really don't like that there are a million bumble bees buzzing around every game making that annoying sound (Stop it with the valuzalas (sp?) already!) But I have a friend, Shane Ammons, that hosts a Radio Show on WIMO Radio 1300 in Winder called It's Only Money and he has done nothing but boast about how excited he was to watch the World Cup. I gave it another try and watched the second half of the USA v. Algeria game. It was really cool to see the USA pull it out in "Injury Time" (what's that all about?!?) and I have to admit I shouted with excitement. I think it was because I just love the USA or I knew I wouldn't have to listen to the annoying buzzing anymore or possibly a little of both.
While the World Cup has not gotten me into soccer, it has gotten my excited about some of the plans we have for parent engagement next school year. Our teachers will be doing two units that will have a culminating activity that the parents will be invited to come see. The first will be our "Around the World in 80 Days". This will happen in November and the teachers will be doing a unit from all around the world. The "love" of different countries that we see in the world cup should serve as a catalyst for some really good lessons. We will be doing a night time event in November that will bring together the world! Our second activity will happen in May when we do an "I Love the USA!" unit. That will also take that Patriotism that we see in the world cup and be shared with everyone.
While I still don't like soccer, I am excited about what the KES Dragons will be doing this year. Who knows maybe we can get some of those horns to play for a little bit as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment